Monday, March 25, 2013

How to draw a City Landscape 2 - Tel-Aviv!

Hey world!

So today I'm going to do something which I haven't planned on doing. I'm going to make another "How to draw a City Landscape" drawing lesson, this time from Tel-Aviv (one of Israel's coolest cities).

Basically, I was in Tel-Aviv with a good friend of mine, and we went to Dizengoff Square and started taking pictures. Then I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to share this great view with everyone?

Today we are going to draw this:

draw tel aviv city landscape


So lets get started!

First things first - I made a very light, non detailed sketch of where basically everything is going to be. And yes, these are the pigeons.

draw tel aviv city landscape sketch


Now I go over the sketch and darken things up. Here is a small tip: while you are drawing, darkening or inking, put a small piece of paper under your drawing hand, like I did. That way you won't smear your work and possibly ruin it.

draw tel aviv city landscape pencil linework

draw tel aviv city landscape pencil linework



After going over all the lines and making them clearer, here is a scanned version of the drawing. The lines are very light, since my scanner sometimes doesn't do well with pencil [=

draw tel aviv city landscape pencil


Now I'm going to do what I did in the previous lesson, and tape the drawing, along with a new clean paper on top of it, to the window (like a light table). Now I can do the coloring on a new paper, and easily get rid of the pencil work.

draw tel aviv city landscape color process

draw tel aviv city landscape color process


After I finish coloring, this is what I got:

draw tel aviv city landscape colors


Now its time to start inking. Here I go at it, inking AS SPARINGLY as I can. Like I taught you in the previews lesson, because I used colors first, I can now sort of "sit back" with the ink, and let the colors do most of the work.

draw tel aviv city landscape ink process

draw tel aviv city landscape ink process

draw tel aviv city landscape ink process


A word on mistakes:

On that last image you can see I've made a couple of mistakes with the inking. It's important for me to make it clear - this is TOTALLY OK. When drawing, you have to accept the fact that some mistakes are inevitable. Some of the mistakes can be corrected, while others can be completely prevented if you work correctly (for example - putting that piece of paper under your hand).

In this example, I accidentally had too much ink "bleed" out of my nib pen. I try to smooth it out as much as possible, and I can probably leave it at that. Sometimes, more "drastic" measure may need to be taken, such as using Tipp-Ex. This time its unnecessary. And keep in mind that no mistake means the end of the world [=

So there you have it - the finished drawing:

draw tel aviv city landscape


I hope you enjoyed this drawing lesson. This is it for "How to draw a City Landscape", for the time being....

On another note, I plan to make the next drawing lesson really really educational, and to try and take you step by step, through the drawing process, while talking about some techniques. It is going to be on a highly demanded subject, so get ready!

Here is a sneak peak.... (;

draw dog sneak peek



Peace,

- Liron

No comments:

Post a Comment